Statkraft is a leading company in hydropower internationally and Europe’s largest generator of renewable energy. The Group produces hydropower, wind power, solar power, gas-fired power and supplies district heating. Statkraft is a global company in energy market operations, it has has 3600 employees in 17 countries.
Your department: Proprietary Trading
You will be part of the Proprietary Trading department which is part of Market Operations and IT’s business unit. This unit’s major activities are Energy Management for Statkraft’s assets and Trading & Origination.
In trading, we work purely from a proprietary perspective (no link or trading around existing assets). Our ambition is to build on our success and grow to become a global commodities trading team. The company’s support for our goals is high and its willingness and ability to take on risk is also high. This differentiates us from traditional utilities and puts us closer to a boutique fund backed by a financially sound utility. The culture in the group is entrepreneurial and the support for good ideas is high.
Since the 1990’s and on the proprietary trading side, we have been mainly an active trader of power and gas in Europe and a broad range of structured products. In the Power and Gas markets, we are a physical player (Europe) and financial player (Global), while on all other energy commodities we only focus on financial trading (Global).
- We have 2 power desks covering Nordic power markets (main location is Oslo) and Continental European power markets (Located in Dusseldorf). Our trading approach is mainly driven by our analysis of the fundamentals of the European power markets (analysis on the desk and in house).
- We have 1 Options desk where we are active on options contracts mainly on Coal, European Power and Gas.
- We are re-building a Fuels desk that would focus on gas, coal and freight markets (Globally)
We would like to complement our trading activities in the energy spectrum by building a successful Dry Bulk desk. Therefore we are looking for 1 Senior analyst and 1 Data/Junior Analyst that would report to the Head of Dry Bulk Trading.
- Minimum 5 years of experience covering dry bulk markets with a focus on steam coal and dry bulk freight.
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills with a high level of attention to details.
- Experience of working within a trading environment and generating trading ideas.
- Ability to work with other trader/analysts to incorporate fundamentals of other markets into own models and provide regular updates of dry bulk fundamentals to others.
- Prior experience of physical markets and capability of developing relationships with other market participants would be a plus.
- Fluency in Chinese would be a major advantage.
- Develop and maintain bottom up supply/demand models.
- Develop cost curve models for all major supply countries.
- Forecast exports through the tracking of mining projects, cost curves, weather and other drivers of supply.
- Forecast demand through the development of consumption models.
- Develop capacity utilisation models for Capes and Panamax.
- Carry out vessel supply analytics – track order book, scrapping, yard economics, etc.
- Develop and maintain cross commodity supply/demand analysis.
- Capability of developing flexible models that can be adjusted in fast changing market conditions and can be utilised to test different scenarios.
- Assist with data collection and data storage projects.
- Assist with the development of vessel tracking models.
What we offer:
- Competitive pay package depending on experience; well-defined bonus scheme)
- Excellent platform to work and perform